Search This Blog

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Temari Wedding Cake


Temari? Never heard of it? Neither had I, that's one of the great things about blogging, you learn something new everyday. 

What is Temari? Expert Barbara B. Seuss who wrote a fabulous book on Temari describes it as follows: "Temari てまり ("hand ball" in Japanese) is a folk craft born in ancient Japan from the desire to amuse and entertain children with an embroidered toy thread ball. "  (quote from her book, Japanese Temari)The Japanese art of Temari is over a thousand years old. A threaded ball was created by weaving silk in bright colors onto a small ball, the perfect simple toy for a child. (Btw, once the insanity of wedding planning is over if you're at all crafty, check out her books, two on Temari (one that is on pre-order right now), one on Kimekoni.)

These Temari inspired small cakes are pretty, decorative and sure to catch the eye of all your guests. How cool! A round ball decorated with colorful icings and a two layer cake with dots to match the colors the Temari balls were iced in. I love it when a baker and cake designer take it to the next level and create a wedding cake/or cakes that really catch the eye and aren't the same old, same old!

This cake was designed by Maki's Cakes. They offer a variety of different Temari cakes to choose from. Where am I going? I'm headed to my kitchen to see if I can figure out how to make these at home, fun for my next party for sure! And then? I'm going to call my girlfriend and recommend these books to her (I'd read them just for the photos, she'd actually put it to use! A great crafter I am not!

 

3 comments:

Kristina - CT-DJs said...

Beautiful wedding cake. I like it! Thanks for sharing this post to us. This adds more ideas about wedding cakes.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment. I thought these were unique little cakes. Love sharing ideas with my readers.

Kristina – Wedding Up Lighting CT said...

Beautiful wedding cake. Love it! Thanks for sharing this post to us.